Covid Alert


Print ISSN:-2394-6784

Online ISSN:-2394-6792

CODEN : IJPOF3

Current Issue

Year 2020

Volume: 7 , Issue: 3

Article Access statistics

Viewed: 757

Emailed: 0

PDF Downloaded: 271

Indian Journal of Pathology and Oncology


Early renal biopsy in acute renal failure - Expect the unexpected


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Author Details : Prashant G Mankar, Sunil Deshpande

Volume : 5, Issue : 3, Year : 2018

Article Page : 370-374


Suggest article by email


Abstract

Present study was carried out to determine the contribution of early renal biopsy in diagnosis and management of acute renal failure (ARF) cases suspected on clinical grounds to be other than acute tubular necrosis (non ATN-ARF). Total 37 cases fulfilled the inclusion criteria. In 20 out of 37 (54.05%) cases the clinical diagnosis was in concordance with biopsy diagnosis. In 13 out of 37 (35.13%) cases the clinical diagnosis was in discordance with biopsy diagnosis which altered the management of the patient. Remaining 4 out of 37 (10.81%) cases were not diagnosed clinically and diagnosis of ARF was totally based on renal biopsy. So overall management alteration in non ATN - ARF patients was 45.94% (17 out of 37 cases). Thus, early renal biopsy contributes to specific treatment and therefore the outcome of patients with non ATN–ARF.

Keywords: Acute Renal failure, Acute tubular necrosis, Amyloidosis, glomerulonephritis, Multiple myeloma, Vasculitis.

Doi : 10.18231/2394-6792.2018.0072

How to cite : Mankar P G, Deshpande S, Early renal biopsy in acute renal failure - Expect the unexpected. Indian J Pathol Oncol 2018;5(3):370-374

Copyright © 2018 by author(s) and Indian J Pathol Oncol. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY-NC 4.0) (creativecommons.org)