Covid Alert


Print ISSN:-2394-6784

Online ISSN:-2394-6792

CODEN : IJPOF3

Current Issue

Year 2020

Volume: 7 , Issue: 2

Article Access statistics

Viewed: 114

Emailed: 0

PDF Downloaded: 89

Indian Journal of Pathology and Oncology


Diagnostic utility of core biopsy in histomorphologic evaluation of prostatic carcinoma


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Research Article

Author Details : Disha Shetty*, Karthik Hariprasad Shetty, Muktha R Pai

Volume : 7, Issue : 2, Year : 2020

Article Page : 304-308


Suggest article by email


Abstract

Background: Core biopsy is a minimal invasive procedure that can help in a definitive diagnosis.
Clinicopathological correlation is necessary for early detection of prostate cancer.
Objective:To correlate histomorphological features of prostatic lesions with clinical data by evaluating
core biopsy.
Materials and Methods:The present study was conducted in Department of Pathology in a tertiary care
hospital. Fifty eight prostatic core biopsies which were clinically suspicious of malignancy with Digital
Rectal Examination, Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) levels and Transrectal ultrasound (TRUS) /magnetic
resonance imaging (MRI) findings were considered.
Results: Eighty six percent of the suspected cases turned out to be malignant. Most of the patients were of
age group 66-75 years. The most common chief complaint was lower urinary tract symptoms. On Digital
Rectal Examination, 64% of cases presented with hard prostate and prostatomegaly. 86% of the cases
had PSA level >10ng/ml. TRUS was performed in 45% of cases and MRI in remaining 55% of cases. The
commonest Prognostic Grade Group was V, Modified Gleason score was 9, Gleason pattern was 4. Prostatic
intraepithelial neoplasia was associated in 45% of the cases. 21% of the cases presented with extraprostatic
metastasis(bone).
Conclusion: Prostatic core biopsy along with clinical correlation stands out to be a good screening test
in association with histomorphologic evaluation for the early diagnosis in clinically suspicious cases of
prostatic carcinoma.

Keywords: Prostate cancer, Core biopsy, Gleason, Prognostic grade group.

Doi : 10.18231/j.ijpo.2020.058

How to cite : Shetty D, Shetty K H, Pai M R, Diagnostic utility of core biopsy in histomorphologic evaluation of prostatic carcinoma. Indian J Pathol Oncol 2020;7(2):304-308

Copyright © 2020 by author(s) and Indian J Pathol Oncol. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY-NC 4.0) (creativecommons.org)