Article Access statistics

Viewed: 420

Emailed: 0

PDF Downloaded: 248

IP Journal of Paediatrics and Nursing Science


Cancer is a word, not what defines you: Women with breast cancer


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Review Article

Author Details : Rekha S G*, Sanjay M Peerapur, Aaron Roy, Tejaswini B H

Volume : 2, Issue : 4, Year : 2019

Article Page : 85-91


Suggest article by email

Abstract

Cancer may be a disease that involves the abnormal cell growth which originates especially tissues and organs of the body and metastasizes to other parts of the body. Cancer are often a results of several factors, like nutrition, environment, and physical activity, also as genetics. There are various sorts of cancer counting on their origin and organ they affect. carcinoma is that the top cancer in women worldwide and is increasing particularly in developing countries where the bulk of cases are diagnosed in late stages. Objective: This meta?analysis was conducted to research the impact of carcinoma on the mental and physical health status of girls. Methodology: The PRISMA tips for reportage of systematic reviews and meta-analyses were followed. An electronic search was administered in several health-related databases from 2000 to December 2015 using relevant search terms. Full-text, peer-reviewed articles in English those which include mental and physical status in longitudinal studies were considered for inclusion within the study. Results: a complete of 38 studies were included. Relevant data was gathered from 7896 samples with a mean age of fifty.71 years. Baseline assessment was done after diagnosis/surgery within the majority of the studies (n=32, 84.21%). The baseline assessment was done before diagnosis and after the diagnosis (29%). the bulk of studies focused on just one indicator of psychological state (n=28, 73.68%). Very commonly investigated studies were wont to assess mental and physical health status to carcinoma. Quality of Life, assessed in (n=15) studies, was the foremost common psychological outcome and was measured most frequently with the planet Health Organization Quality of Life. The second most ordinarily measured outcome was psychological distress (n=11). Results revealed that disease severity with metastatic disease were (43%), patients with nonmetastatic disease (27%), the remaining (30%) didn't specify metastatic status. The (45%) included patients undergoing or getting to begin cancer treatment (e.g., chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy), (52%) patients either on or off treatment, and one (14%) patients who had completed treatment.14 studies (36.84%) were assessed at one assessment at short-term intervention and therefore the 24 remaining studies (63.15%) were assessed at long-term duration. Low self-esteem (77%), false self-perception (81%), social isolation (68%), negative body image (45%), fatigue(92%), relationship problems with family and friends(74%), cancer stigma(39%), fear of death (83%), anxiety (78%), loss of sexual desire(34%) , suicidal thought (23%) and depression(55.3%). (N=21, 55.3%) of the patients experienced higher level of distress from alopecia. Conclusion: The management of carcinoma are often devastating and may produce to many adverse reactions for the bulk of girls. many ladies exhibit various symptoms of psychological distress like anxiety, depression, fatigue, pain, difficulty concentrating, social isolation, self-blame, spread of disease and fear of death etc. they'll have many doubts and questions associated with treatment protocol, side effects, precautions, duration of treatment, prognosis, Thus, healthcare professionals working with carcinoma patients should take initiative to know these concerns and support them by suggesting coping strategies that might help to alleviate their stress and anxiety.

Keywords: Breast cancer, Psychological state status, Physical health status, Psychological distress. 


Doi : 10.18231/j.ijpns.2019.001

How to cite : Rekha S G, Peerapur S M, Roy A, Tejaswini B H, Cancer is a word, not what defines you: Women with breast cancer. J Paediatr Nurs Sci 2019;2(4):85-91

Copyright © 2019 by author(s) and J Paediatr Nurs Sci. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (creativecommons.org)