Print ISSN:-2395-1354

Online ISSN:-2395-1362

CODEN : IJOSHC

Current Issue

Year 2020

Volume: 6 , Issue: 2

Article Access statistics

Viewed: 469

Emailed: 0

PDF Downloaded: 130

Indian Journal of Orthopaedics Surgery


Evaluation of osteoporosis using DEXA scan among low income group women in South India


Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


Research Article

Author Details : Pavalan Louis, Vetrivel Chezian Sengodan*, Nanda Kumar T, Sharan Achar T

Volume : 5, Issue : 2, Year : 2019

Article Page : 145-148


Suggest article by email


Abstract

Introduction and Objectives: Osteoporosis is one of the most common consequences of menopause and is characterized by low bone mass with micro architectural deterioration of bone tissue leading to bone fragility. Hip fracture is the worst complication of osteoporosis, with substantial morbidity and high one-year mortality.  Hence it is essential to identify post-menopausal women at risk of developing osteoporosis. Dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) is a valuable tool for screening women prone to osteoporosis. The objective of the present work was to estimate the prevalence of low bone mass in low income Indian women above 40 years for the assessment of osteoporosis and fracture risk using DEXA scan.
Materials and Methods: This study was conducted in Coimbatore from 2012-2017 with a sample size of 500 patients for the diagnosis of osteoporosis in low income group women from 40 to 70 years. Bone mineral density was done using DEXA Scan (Hologic) at lumbar spine and hip zones.
Results: The prevalence of osteoporosis in our study by hip BMD score was 38% and osteopenia was 24% and by spine BMD score osteoporosis was 36% and osteopenia was 38%.  Overall, in the age group of between 41 and 65 years, the prevalence of osteopenia (36%) and osteoporosis (30%) together was 66%, which is higher than other developed countries.
Conclusion: Risk of osteoporosis among women from the age of 40 years can be identified by DEXA scan method so that effective therapeutic measures can be initiated at the earliest.

Keywords: DEXA, Osteoporosis, South India.

Doi : 10.18231/j.ijos.2019.027

How to cite : Louis P , Sengodan V C, Nanda Kumar T, Sharan Achar T, Evaluation of osteoporosis using DEXA scan among low income group women in South India. Indian J Orthop Surg 2019;5(2):145-148

Copyright © 2019 by author(s) and Indian J Orthop Surg. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY-NC 4.0) (creativecommons.org)