Article Access statistics

Viewed: 763

Emailed: 0

PDF Downloaded: 268

Indian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Research

Diagnostic hysterolaparoscopy in evaluation of female infertility in a Rural Medical College

Full Text PDF Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Author Details : Sunita Mishra, Sunita Sudhir

Volume : 3, Issue : 3, Year : 2016

Article Page : 196-198

Suggest article by email


Objective: To study the efficacy of combined diagnostic hystero-laparoscopy in evaluation of causes of female infertility.
Methods: Ours was a retrospective study conducted in the Department of Obs & Gyn from January 2013 to May 2016. Patients of age-group 20-40 years were included in the study.
Results: Of the 100 patients, 64% were cases of primary infertility and the rest 36% had secondary infertility. Laparoscopic abnormalities were more than hysteroscopic abnormalities in both the groups. Laparoscopy detected abnormalities in 36% of cases while hysteroscopy was helpful in diagnosing 20% of abnormalities. Combined diagnostic hysterolaparoscopy detected abnormalities in 28% of the infertile patients in both groups. Enlarged poycystic ovaries accounted for the most common laparoscopic abnormality(9%) followed by endometriosis (7%) and tubal pathology(6%). Myomas were seen in 4% cases, adenomyosis and adnexal pathology were detected in 3% of cases each. 20% cases had uterine causes of infertility. By Hysteroscopy the most common intrauterine malformation was a partial septum which was seen in six cases in the primary infertility group. Endometrial polyp, myoma and synechia were also diagnosed by hysteroscopy in both the groups of infertility. Post procedure two cases had port site infection, for which they were appropriately treated and followed up. Rest of the cases had no major surgical or anaesthetic complications.
Conclusion: Combined hysterolaparoscopy can be safely employed for evaluation of infertility to diagnose & appropriately treat lesions of pelvis and uterus. This procedure can be used as a first line investigation for evaluation of female infertility.

Hysteroscopy, Laparoscopy, Infertility

How to cite : Mishra S, Sudhir S, Diagnostic hysterolaparoscopy in evaluation of female infertility in a Rural Medical College. Indian J Obstet Gynecol Res 2016;3(3):196-198

Copyright © 2016 by author(s) and Indian J Obstet Gynecol Res. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY-NC 4.0) (